Flint Insurance, Simple
Flint Personal
Car Insurance
Home insurance
Flint Trades
Prestige Car Insurance
High Value Home Insurance
Flint Business
Motor Trade Insurance
HGV insurance
Flint Trades
Flint Trades
Employers Liability
Professional Indemnity
Customer Satisfaction In 2014 Flint Insurance surveyed existing customers to rate the overall standard of service they received from us, 98% of 3800 people surveyed rated Flint's services as extremely good.
It's nice to know we deliver a premium level of customer satisfaction to our clients, we work hard at Flint to make sure you get the insurance service you require for your everyday needs.
Insurance News

Insurance News, brought to you by Flint Insurance


Changes to Property Lets

Published: 29/03/18

Changes to Property Lets

Landlords, estate and letting agents need to be aware that as of 1 April 2018 the criteria for letting properties has changed.

These changes are particularly important when renewing and/or extending tenancies or granting new lets. Breaches of the regulations will result in penalties of up to £5,000 on residential properties and much higher for commercial properties.

With thousands of properties with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of F or G being let in England and Wales, landlords will need to get their properties to a better EPC rating by making the necessary energy performance improvements before it is too late.


The Energy Act 2011 included changes to the law regarding the rental of either residential or commercial premises to reach a minimum energy standard as of 1 April 2018. Low income and vulnerable tenants will soon experience warmer homes that cost less to heat. The Minimum Energy Performance Standard (MEPS) are part of the UK’s commitment to meet its carbon reduction targets.


After 1 April 2018 it will be unlawful to grant a new lease, extend or renew a lease on a property with an EPC rating lower than ‘E’ (Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard, MEES) for both residential and commercial properties. As of 1 April 2020 the regulations will apply to current, ongoing tenancies and also to any new tenancies granted from this date.


Landlords will need to make improvements to the energy performance of their properties to ensure they do not fall foul of the regulations.

The following are an example of the improvements that can be made to increase the EPC rating:

  • Changing an old boiler to a more efficient one such as a condensing boiler;
  • Replacing existing halogen lights with low energy lighting such as: compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) or light-emitting diodes (LEDs);
  • Renewable energy such as installing solar panels, bio-mas boilers or ground source heat pumps;
  • Double glazing;
  • Roof insulation;
  • Cavity wall insulation

Estate and Letting Agents must make property owners aware of any properties that are sub-standard as soon as possible, as it will become impossible to market properties unless they are upgraded.

The Government is tightening its grip to raise standards with the possibility of banning letting agent fees on tenants for their services in England in 2018 by introducing The Tenants Fee Bill; that will help millions of tenants who will no longer be hit with unforeseen fees and making the private rental market more affordable.

With the Government proposing to cap tenancy deposits at 6 weeks rent this will bring greater control and regulation giving tenants better clarity and peace of mind. Capping of tenants deposits may not come into force until 2019 but it shows the determination of the Government to tighten the rules and regulations to bring any rogue landlords and letting agents in line.

Client Money Protection (CMP) has also had much press over the past year. A Government consultation on compulsory CMP cover in England and Wales is being carried out (already mandatory requirement in Scotland) to recompense tenants and landlords of rent and deposits where monies have been fraudulently used or misappropriated. Client Money Protection cover is generally available to letting agents who are members of estate and letting agent trade bodies. 

It appears the Government is determined to overhaul the sector and implement systematic changes that make things fairer for tenants. It could prove a tough year for the industry and we will see what effect this will have on tenants, landlords and letting agents in the years to come.

Flint is able to provide a range of specialist insurance policies especially for Estate Agents, Letting Agents and Property Managers.

Professional Indemnity insurance in this instance will typically cover:

  • Breaches of professional duty
  • Accidental breach of confidentiality
  • Loss or damage to documents
  • Unintentional infringement of intellectual property rights
  • Libel or slander

Residential Landlords' Insurance

  • Buildings insurance to repair or rebuild your property following a loss
  • Property owners’ liability cover (up to £10 million)
  • Cover to re-house your tenants in alternative accommodation after a flood or fire
  • Cover for up to 10 properties in one policy
  • A range of optional extensions, such as landlords contents with communal areas, subsidence, employer's liability, terrorism.

For Commercial Property Owners we have a range of insurance options depending on your circumstances, as with all our clients we search quality insurance providers and recommend the best cover for your needs.

For great cover that comes with our expert assistance call 0800 021 4504.


News Archive »

RSS News Feed
To subscribe to our RSS feed click here »

View the complete range of our Commercial Insurance products »

Call me backCall Me Back
To find out more about any Flint Insurance product, or to get a quote: Request a call back » One of our advisors will call you back at a time to suit you.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
Goods in Transit Lorry Insurance Fleet Insurance Commercial Insurance Buy to let Insurance Engineering insurance
Flint Insurance Sitemap Contact us Insurance News Company Vision Claims Renewals About us